Friday, February 12, 2010

Lame Sauce

Something I've been noticing more and more lately in my critiques or my classes online blogging is people's lack of faith in their images. I admit that I do it too, but starting off our description with, "I know these are bad BUT..." is probably not the best idea.

I attended Kareem Black's lecture at RIT a couple weeks back and one point he stressed many times was the fact that sometimes a job is just a job. You aren't always going to like your images, you're not always going to be proud of them, and you're not going to want to tell people you shot them. But ultimately you did. You have to, "leap without looking", as Black put it, and believe in yourself and the people around you. I know that I have never felt more comfortable in an artistic setting than I have in my teacher's class, and I'm always excited to show my images.... even if she destroys my lighting set-ups in front of the entire class ;)

Maybe you don't like these projects, but that's no excuse to keep personal projects going on back at home! Kareem also stressed the importance of this saying that you can't lose yourself in the money, or the job, or the ultimate result. You have to stand out in your own way. So if you aren't happy with what you do in class, utilize what you learned and produce something you love in the comforts of your own humble abode.

So be happy and be proud! Negativity from you onto your audience will only make them feel the same way, and they won't be able to create their own opinion about it. Be you as much as you can! Isn't that all we really can do?




Here's my current personal project: trying to make these little babies grow in the cold of winter! :

1 comment:

  1. you can do it, my plants do just fine in the winter, it helps if you keep them as far from the window on the window sill as possible, so they don't catch cold.

    ReplyDelete